Thursday, August 25, 2011

‘Gandhi’s philosophy will bring peace in the world’-Feb 8, 2011

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

‘Gandhi’s philosophy will bring peace in the world’-Feb 8, 2011

‘Gandhi’s philosophy will bring peace in the world’

Published: Tuesday, Feb 8, 2011, 11:21 IST

By Chaitraly Deshmukh | Place: Pune | Agency: DNA

Octogenarian Shobhana Ranade epitomises a life with a mission. Ranade, who is 86 years old now, has done master’s in sociology from the University of Pune and has dedicated her life to women empowerment and child welfare. Ranade was a volunteer during the Quit India Movement of 1942 and assisted in setting up the Gandhi National Memorial Society, a national training institute for women, at the Aga Khan Palace in the city in 1979. She has to her credit a school for tribals in Digboi, Assam. Moreover, she launched Shishu Niketan, the first child welfare centre in an Assam village. Through her Adim Jaati Seva Sangh, Naga tribal women were given training in weaving and spinning the charkha. Mahatma Gandhi, Vinoba Bhave and Vinayak Damodar Savarkar have inspired her to serve the country. She spoke to DNA after being selected for the Padma Bhushan this year for her stupendous social work.

How did you feel on being selected for this prestigious award?
I received a call just a day before Republic Day around 4 pm when I was watching television. It was from Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi informing me about the award. I was pleasantly surprised and said I would accept the honour with humility. I am happy that my work has been recognised. The award will encourage me to continue my work. I immediately informed my daughter and we both hugged each other.

What prompted you to get involved in social work?
Savarkar was famous in our school days and his talks inspired me to do something concrete for our country. I worked with Acharya Vinoba Bhave in Assam for 17 years. He was an institution in himself and advised me to keep working, saying one gets born as a human being to serve others. From him, I learnt the virtue of acquiring full knowledge of the field in which one works, apart from the qualities of devotion and humility. I hope I succeed in inculcating these traits in others. He used to call me Shobhaniya. Later, I was influenced by Mahatma Gandhi. He used to say nirbhay bano (be fearless); this is what I have been following throughout my life.

I wish to continue propagating Gandhi’s philosophy, especially among the youth as I believe we have to go back to Gandhian principles in the current situation.

Is Gandhi’s philosophy relevant to the youth today?
The youth are aware about Mahatma Gandhi and his pioneering work for the country. When I interact with youngsters at different sessions and camps, they are keen to know about Gandhi’s philosophy and work. Many of them follow his philosophy in their lives.

If the youth of the country want to progress, they have to adopt Gandhi’s philosophy that teaches us to follow the path of non-violence and humanity. This philosophy will bring peace and make the world a better place to live in.

Tell us something about your future plans.
I plan to work even more. I have been working with the National Gandhi Memorial Society in Aga Khan Palace in Yerwada. I want more youngsters to become a part of this society. I am also setting up an old age home for women in Saswad. I will continue to work to change society and its values, so that women and children can obtain their rightful place in our society.


The week in pictures: February 6-February 12, 2011

No comments: