Saturday, July 23, 2011

The magic of black and white- Jul 15, 2011

The magic of black and white

Times of India

THANE: Eminent photographer Chirodeep Chaudhuri's pictures are driven purely by his instinct and not by the rigid guidelines of the techniques of photography.

He is going to display his work in a slideshow organised by the Foto Circle Society on July 17 at Kala Bhavan in Thane. Chaudhari's multiple interests, creative vision and perfection in compositions and other photographic techniques assure to provide a visual treat to art lovers in the city.

"I'm a self made photographer," insists Chaudhuri. He doesn't have any family background in this field. A commerce graduate, Chaudhuri never used a camera till he completed college. "Since my childhood, I loved reading. I used to visit book stalls and street vendors in search of new books. One day, I came across a magazine named Life at a book stall in Fort, Mumbai. I was marveled by the quality of pictures in the magazine. This triggered my interest in photography. As there was no one to guide me, I decided to learn the art myself. In those days I used to spend most of my pocket money on the books related to photography," says Chaudhuri.

Initially, he used to experiment with simple point and shoot type cameras. He was so inspired by the art that he decided to make a career in photography. His started his career by working in an advertising firm. He used to save up the money he earned in order to buy a new camera.

"My first assignment as a photographer was with the Bombay Tribune. After gaining practical knowledge, I started working as a news photographer for Sunday Observer," says Chaudhuri. Chaudhuri interest in literature, poetry, anthropology, town planning, lifestyles and travel made him work with historian Sharada Dwivedi and architect Rahul Meharotra for their books Bombay: The city within and Fort walks.

Currently, Chaudhuri is working as a creative editor of Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore editions of Timeout Magazine. "My native place is West Bengal. Since the last 12 years I have been visiting my native place near Baradwan regularly.

My ancestors used to conduct Durga pooja since the last 200 years. So, every year I go there during Durga pooja, take pictures and I try to catch the rural lifestyle and people of all age groups on my lenses. Soon I'm going to publish a book on this project. In fact in my slideshow in Thane I'm going to showcase excerpts of this project," says Chaudhuri.

"Photography has provided me soulful pleasure. It provided me the opportunity to meet outstanding people in all walks of life. I was also able to cover many international events like India winning the World Cup. Taking pictures of crooks and criminals and of good and bad incidents has become a part and parcel of my life. No other career would have given me such fulfilling life," he says. Chirodeep Chaudhuri's slideshow is open to all on July 17 at 5.30 pm. at Thane Kala Bhavan.

No comments: