Friday, May 27, 2011

Rooting out corruption is everyone’s responsibility: Hazare May 28, 2011

Rooting out corruption is everyone’s responsibility: Hazare


There will be no hesitation or discrimination in taking on anyone who stands in the way of eradicating corruption in this country.

These are the words of Anna Hazare to the people of Bengaluru and T Begur.

Corruption is not one man's struggle, it's the responsibility of the entire country. Addressing the gathering, the man who shared that he lives in a 10 ft by 8 ft room with just a bed to sleep on and a plate to eat from, said, "I have taken the wickets of six cabinet ministers and sent 400 corrupt ministers home. We are fighting against big goondas. I made a vow when I was 26 years old that I would stand up against injustice because I believe that 'Dil diya, jaan bhi denge. Ye watan tere liye..' (the lines of a song). I didn't get married because I wanted to dedicate myself totally to the cause."

Disclosing why he decided to go to T Begur village, he cited Mahatma Gandhi's dream of a progressive country through the upliftment of its rural areas. He added that this can happen only when its people change. The villages in this area should create a model village of their own, where its people can be independent.

Reacting to a question on politics in Karnataka, he said, "I can't say if Karnataka is the most corrupt state or not. The four hours that I have been here, are too little to understand the situation here. I will have to look at it more closely. But I have two messages that I want to put before the people of this State. One is my appreciation for their support.

“The other is that if the government does not accept the Bill, we will continue our demonstration and we hope that the support will remain just as strong." Mere speeches, that we have heard for the past 60 years, can't guarantee change. Those who only give speeches are not change makers, added the social activist.

"We are in the process of drafting the Jan Lokpal bill and if it becomes a law, then 65-70 per cent of corruption will automatically stop”, he added.

No comments: