Sunday, September 26, 2010

Student volunteers keep hope of good Games alive Neha Pushkarna, TNN, Sep 24, 2010,

Student volunteers keep hope of good Games alive

Neha Pushkarna, TNN, Sep 24, 2010, 06.46am IST



NEW DELHI: The current mess and criticism notwithstanding, students volunteers for the Commonwealth Games seem quite optimistic.

Nearly 22,000 students from the city are expected to work as volunteers during the Games in areas like transportation, hospitality, accreditation and logistics. Though there may be doubts about the viability of the Games now, many are still hopeful that the sporting extravaganza will be pulled off well. They say it's their chance to 'serve the country' and get the experience of a lifetime and they don't want to lose it to "somebody's inefficiency or general cynicism".

"I somehow feel that the Games can still happen. I have already gone through three training sessions and now I am only waiting for my uniform. It will be a white shirt and red trouser. I start work in the accreditation division from October 1," said Tanvir Ahmed, a second-year student of BA (honours) political science, Zakir Husain College.

Tanvir could have gone back home in Assam for 15 days during the vacation like many of his friends. But he chose to stay back to honour his commitment. He said, "I applied to be a volunteer because I wanted to serve the country. I got a call on July 20 and a lot of things have changed since then. But I will stay committed."

For Vipul Chaturvedi from Shri Ram College of Commerce, the Games will be an opportunity to learn different skills. "In our first training, we were given an overview of the Games and the participating countries. We also learnt how to host foreign tourists. There were 22 categories in which we could volunteer. I was assigned a role in transportation," Vipul said. He added, "My actual duty will begin in a couple of days. It's an international event and our trainers have been telling us that all will be fine. I am prepared."

These volunteers will of course not be paid for the work they do. But they are at least glad that their commuting will be free. "DTC and Metro will allow us free rides. We will just have to flash our cards," Vipul said. For those deployed at the Games Village, the drill has already begun. Even as the delegates and players start arriving in the still-to-be-cleaned residential blocks, these volunteers have their fingers crossed. Vikram Chauhan from IP University said: "The landscape of the Games Village is really beautiful. You just do not feel like being in Delhi. Even the dining area is out-of-the-world. But waterlogging has created problems."

He added, "I was walking down with a few officials from England the other day when we passed by a patch that was stinking. The delegates were a little disappointed but I told them that it will be taken care of. I really hope it does." Vikram said he wished the volunteers were at least paid a token

No comments: