Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Can Your Photography Change The World?-

Can Your Photography Change The World?

by Peter West Carey

57del.icio.us Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Can photography change the world? Whoa now, that’s a very big question with huge room for interpretation, so let’s narrow it down a bit.

Can your photography bring about a positive change for humanity’s sake? If so, would you care and how would you go about it? And just how much impact would you need to make you feel the outcome is worth effort?

We’ve had some great posts on DPS recently, including Give to Receive – 5 ways to use your talents to help others and 5 Ways to Use Your Gifts and Reach Your Community, but the subject of ‘can these activities change the world’ has not been brought up.

These questions have been bouncing around in my head for the better part of five years without a clear answer or a way to prove them true or false. Some people, when given a skill, come around to finding ways to use that skill for the good of others. Some choose to use their skill only for personal gain. But I believe the majority of us try to find a middle ground. We try to find a way to ‘give back’, ‘pay it forward’ or any number of slogans pointing to a philanthropic idea that we can help by applying our gift and still live our ‘normal’ lives.

Some personal backstory on why I ask, “Can Your(My) Photography Change The World?” now (my personal project): For me, I’ve found my way to a self created project that I believe can use my skill as a photographer to bring about cultural awareness and curiosity in those young and old in my local community. Known as the People, Places and Patterns Project (http://pppproject.com), I endeavor to travel to various countries, including Nepal, Tanzania, Spain, Kenya and Morocco, gathering photographs, video and cultural tales to bring back & share with over 50 schools, 10 libraries and 20 local community groups in the USA. I’ll be starting in the Greater Puget Sound region of Washington State and slowly expanding out from here, including shows in Utah, Oregon and California.

I have no corporate backing and no directive from any group to go forth and change the world. And I don’t honestly know if what I’ll be doing will actually change the world. I have doubts that all this time invested will be for naught. While at other times I can see clearly how using photography, especially on trips I am already undertaking for personal reasons, can transform travel into a vehicle for better global understanding.

There are a number of other great sites on the internet for those looking to volunteer their talent, such as Photo Philanthropy (http://photophilanthropy.org/) and Help Portrait (http://www.help-portrait.com/). Will volunteering for any of these organizations change the world?

I’m inclined to believe yes, yes it can. I firmly believe that photography can bring about a better understanding of the world inside and outside our borders. And from what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been on this planet, when people are exposed to a wider view of the world around them, their interaction with that world changes, typically for the better. I also believe photography can leave a lasting impact on those who receive it, as in Help Portrait’s work.

Those are the conclusions I’ve come to when asking myself, “Can my photography change the world?” I’ve crafted a project I am passionate about and I feel will make an impact on a large number of folks close to where I live. It may not be the flashiest or absolute wisest use of my resources, but it is something I can do to use photography to help improve the lives of others.

Now I’m very interested to hear your take on the matter. In the comment section below let me know if you feel your photography can change the world. I’m genuinely interested to hear dissenting views from mine as well. Feel free to share any special projects you may be undertaking leveraging the power of the photograph to make a positive impact.

Read more from our Reader Questions Category

Peter West Carey provides a bit of daily photo inspiration with his Photo Of The Day RSS and Email feed. He can also be found as pwcarey on Twitter


57 Responses to “Can Your Photography Change The World?” - Add Yours

jr cline Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 6:38 am
You know, I’ve never thought about this before. I don’t know why. I spend a good portion of my life trying to change the world one person at a time.
This deserves a lot more thought.


Debbie L Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 6:57 am
Absolutely photography can change the world. So can anyone with a passion to do so. Images are very powerful things and our brain is hardwired for images first, language second.

So photography does have power. Keep up the good work.


Rob Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 7:04 am
I just took my third round of portraits as part of Help Portrait, taking pictures of men in a local program for the homeless. The first time I did it, the reaction was less than good. The general reaction was “I don’t want anyone to see me like this.” A few decided to get pictures anyway and when I delivered them two weeks later, some of the very men who had refused changed their minds. Their friends didnt “look” homeless. Last night I delivered 5 and shot 6 more – my highest number yet. One was a reshoot from the time before who decided to shave his beard because “I can look nicer than that!” Two of the men were reluctant because they couldn’t pay. When I told them there was nothing to pay, their faces lit up. But nothing is like the look when they get their pics. One guy last night said nothing until he almost whispered “I’ll send this to my daughter.” Five of the men I shot are no longer in the program – they all “graduated” and have jobs and permanent homes. I dont for a minute think a picture was responsible for that, but I know it didnt hurt. Maybe seeing themselves as men, not homeless men, helped give them an extra boost.

I print a 8×10 or 8×12 plus a 5×7. It cost me $2 to get them printed at Costco. $2 to see a smile that is priceless. A 4×6 is only $.13. Most of us can find $.13 in our cars. I HIGHLY encourage everyone to find some way to give a photo.


Jono Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 8:17 am
I’ve been thinking about this topic for a while now. For the most part I see social change being something that comes out of empowerment, empowerment born out of vision. What kind of vision are we wanting? What society do we want to see? How can photography be used as a medium for empowerment for this social change?

I think social change MUST come from the community, and the kind of community I would want to live in is one where its inhabitants are working towards the welfare of people both within and beyond its borders.

In light of these questions I see projects like cultural education and free portraits fitting in, but I almost feel like there could be something more effective maybe? I’m not sure, I don’t want people to think I’m downplaying their endeavors because they no doubt do make a change in the world, I just want to know how we can make a bigger and longer lasting change. So I have been thinking about things like getting our local community involved in the process. Using photography to highlight the achievements of a neighbourhood or suburb, which may draw people out of the woodwork to be an active participant in changing the world for the better. Teaching others about photography and it uses… These are really just thoughts I’ve been having, I guess I’ll never know until I start putting these thoughts into action and learn/refine as I go.

What are others thoughts on this?


SusanG Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 8:50 am
Just thinking about it creates a space for change. Taking a proactive position takes it that much further. I suppose we tend to think that “changing the world” is a big thing and less doable. But even when we’re not trying to change or improve something, when we document photographically and share that: we are creating new ways for others to see and interpret. And it doesn’t have to be the World we change. We can learn and grow just as much from our own photography!

@Rob – What you got back from that is priceless!!! One of the most debilitating aspects of being homeless is being ignored as people. So much so that it’s easy to forget one is human and not a faceless obstacle on the pavement. You gave them recognition and reality and one that is tangible. To hold a portrait of one self and be able to recognise not just the fact that we are human, but have potential to become the human we want to be. Priceless!


JotaSolano Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 10:48 am
As a somewhat newbie to photography I thought that my pictures were a bit shallow and that my ability to send a message/emotion through the image was not very good. However, yesterday my cousin came to my place ’cause I’m designing a logo for her, and I showed her some of my “best” pictures. She totally fell in love with one I took from a Mantis (you know, the little bug). She was so happy! She keep saying, Mantis are like my favorite animals!, I love them, I feel so identified with them.
Even if for me, mantis are like any other bug), I put a smile on her face!. She finally said, please print a bigger version for me, I’d totally frame it and place it on my bedroom.

So, the bottom line is, that even if we didn’t photographed Hiroshima’s bomb exploding, or the portrait of Sharbat Gula, you know the “Afghan Girl”, we can still make the world a little happier for someone (hopefully more than one person). So yes, I truly believe my pictures can make a difference, even when is a little one, or when I don’t realize I made one.


Rhonda K Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am
I believe world change is about changing people one person at a time. Rob – what you did for those men was help them build a positive identity for themselves as see beyond their current situation. Change starts from within. There is a program in my city (and several other cities as well) called Hannah’s house. It is a women’s shelter to help women get back on their feet. Most of the women in the shelter in my town are trying to start a new life after rehabilitation or prison. A friend of mine took pictures of the girls for their graduation and one of them (a BEAUTIFUL girl who had covered herself in tattoos) broke down crying when she received hers. She said that looking at that picture of herself was the FIRST time in her whole life that she saw herself as pretty. She doesn’t have even one childhood recollection of being pretty. And no one, until she got to Hannah’s house had ever even told her they thought she was pretty. Seriously, this girl was BEAUTIFUL. Its stories like that that make me know that photography can change the world, even if it’s one person at a time.

I started a worship photo group with a couple of girls at my church that love photography as much as I do. It has been an incredibly rewarding experience for us and so we thought we should invite other Christian photographers to join us. We are getting ready to go public with it this coming week. We’ll start small from my blog and try to build a community of photographers who will join us. Then, as long as we get a bit of a community, we plan on launching a website for it, selling the images that result from it, that are worthy of selling, and donating 100% of the proceeds to charity. We plan on having a list of charities that the buyer can pick from to donate to – charities that provide clean water to third world countries, charities that help rescue people from human trafficking, charities that help orphans and widows and the poor. Its new, but I’m excited for the world-changing potential it has.


Andy Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 12:03 pm
I believe photography (as well as other art forms) has the potential to change the world. What I’m not so sure about is if the world is capable of listening.


Vittal Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 12:32 pm
Hi,
This is a wonderful idea that you have thought of. I would encourage you to think that you can definitely portray a lot by using photography. As the beautiful saying goes, “A picture is worth more than a thousand words”, it is what you depict that becomes important. My idea of how you can change things is by helping out the poor. They need us the most. Cultural unification, religious understanding, etc, all come secondary for me. My idea would be for you to visit countries like India, Nepal, some countries in Africa and take pictures of poor people suffering and trying their hardest to make the ends meet, but still not succeeding in it. The only option they have is for other people to support them, and for other people to support their children by giving they the most valuable gift a human being can give to another human being, i.e. EDUCATION. Once the younger generation gets the basic education, they will apply the things that they learn to get their own food.

I can go on and on about this, but I assume that you get the point. One human’s suffering is something that will melt other people’s heart. The first thing that they think is, what if that was me or my family? That makes them to forward and help out the needy.

I am sure this initiative of yours will go a long way in ‘Changing the WORLD’. BEST OF LUCK !


Andy Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 1:43 pm
When I was at med school, one of the Professors gave a great lecture on “how to be subversive” in medicine. What he pointed out was that politicians hate pictures of mothers pushing prams and veterans in wheelchairs when those mothers and veterans are protesting against the politicians in question.
Emotive images (like babies, veterans, trashed bits of the environment) are a fabulous way to bring home the impact on those people and things that are special.
Capturing those images in a way that conveys the emotion has a real potential to make people sit up and take notice.


Jen Consalvo Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 2:20 pm
Rob – thank you for sharing all of that. It’s really inspiring to hear that detail as I research programs and figure out ways I can use my photography for good.

Peter, your project sounds amazing. Best of luck raising funds!!


Tom Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 3:54 pm
What a great thought and article. It’s made me think more about how I use my camera when I’m on the road. I was planning an exhibition in the next few months designed to get more people interested in taking up cycling as a mode of transport (here in Armenia it’s non-existent). This has made me think much more deeply about how to make it more effective in that sense. Thanks again!


Morgan Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 5:18 pm
Very nice article!


Nancy Cole Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 6:21 pm
Hi Peter,

Thanks for bringing this up, and for citing PhotoPhilanthropy in your article. Really impressive that you have been thinking about this to the degree that you have — taking pictures all over the world in the event that they will make a difference.

At PhotoPhilanthropy, we are just getting started, but have it as our goal to connect photographers like you with organizations that need your visual storytelling abilities. We are in the process of re-building our site to make it easy for social change orgs to easily find photographic work that will help them, and vice versa. If you have any photos that come together around an issue to tell a story, let us know and we will include it in our soon-to-be-searchable library.

We clearly believe that your photos can make a big difference, and we look forward to providing the linkages that can make that happen.

Keep up the great work!

Nancy
Executive Director, PhotoPhilanthropy.org
@photophilan @nancycole


Stock Photos Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 10:15 pm
Images change the world every day, think of the Iranian riots or the beating of the monks in China, or the images from Haiti that spur people to donate….


Rob Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Change the world I did when I was asked to make photo’s of young African kids with Cancer. Got some of my photo skills right from your site.. Thanks! Some photo’s showed up in the NY Times and the Cancer Institute here managed to raise the awareness of this disease and show that treatment is needed.


Zack Jones Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 11:10 pm
I’m sure my photography can change the world. To me it’s all a matter of how you define the world. I don’t do well grasping concepts of a global scale so I tend to focus on smaller scales that I can grasp. Since sports photography is something that I’ve spent a lot of time doing I’ll use that as an example of how my photography can change the world. A couple of years ago I was shooting motorcycle races near Savannah, Georgia. While shooting I did my best to get at least one shot of everyone that was racing that particular class. Later when I posted a announcement where the photos could be viewed on the racing forum I was very surprised by some feedback I received. This racer is an older gentlemen and is really slow compared to the others in his class but after seeing the photos that I took of him (he said I was the first to capture him since he was circulating off the back of the pack) he felt like was the world champion out there doing his laps. Did my photo change the world on a global scope, no way, but it did change the world for that man. Best of luck to the OP and everyone else out to change the world!


Manfred.K. Says:

January 25th, 2010 at 11:31 pm
yes, i know my photos can change the world, i show some of my photos in second life in a little gallery, one day a friend told me he meat a young man there, his behavior was kind of rough and agressive, this young guy was sitting hours and days and looked at one of my photos, he was thinking a lot of his life and he calms down

i was realy happy to hear how my photos can changes somebodys life, this is a reason to keep on takeing photos, i know i´m on the right way, i hope in future more ppl will see my pics and i can make a better world

it is a good time to say thank you to everyone who is supporting me to go my way as a photographer


MartCronos Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 12:31 am
Check this link http://www.fairmail.info/. I don´t know if phorography can change the world but it has certainly changed the lives of a bunch of kids in Peru and India!!!


Jan Shim Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 1:12 am
A most definitely yes! When I agreed to sponsor my Hornbill, nature and landscape photographs for a good cause, little did I know that the money raised from the sale of the greeting cards went to saving the future of a disappearing nomadic tribe—the Sarawak Penans—whose legacy and future are threatened by modernization efforts. Click on the links for more info about how proceeds are invested in providing the Penan girls education.

http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/plight-of-the-penan-education-key-to-survival/
http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/lowest-hill-to-big-hearts/

While the next article has very little or nothing to do with photography, my photography blog has saved many unsuspecting individuals from being scammed out of their life savings. I’m so honoured and thankful to have my readers take the time to let me know I’ve made a difference!

http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2007/11/21/hong-kong-scam-alert/


Sherry Ott Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 3:05 am
Great topic! Yes – I do think it can change the world – with small steps. For the same reasons you mention – it helps broaden people’s view of the world; gets them outside their borders, social class, or comfort zone. More world understanding = Good.

One thing that I get so disapointed about with the news is that they typically show the bad things happening in a country – but you seldom see the good, heartwarming things about the middles east or China or ‘fill in country here’. That’s why I like to go to places like Nepal, India, Morocco, Mongolia, China, Vietnam – to show people another view of the world – not one driven by news.

Thanks for the great links too – great resources to give back. I wish you the best of luck on your project and support it 100%!


Karen Stuebing Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 3:08 am
I’m not sure it’s the role of photojournalism to change anything but just record it. Living in Appalachia, I have documented rural poverty and a very unique and insular culture. None of the people, I’ve photographed want help. Nor would they welcome outsiders bringing it to them.

Granted it is a small part of the entire world and there are people who do need help. Haiti immediately comes to mind. But I think the photo should speak for itself and while the photographer seeks to convey emotion, he/she remains detached in order to do his/her job.

If the photo is powerful enough then people who want to help will find a way to do so. But I doubt a single photo or an entire gallery of photos can change the world because you would have to change people first.

As an example, I have posted photos of the ravages of strip mining and mountain top removal in West Virginia. I even editorialized which I avoid and asked people to think of us when they turn on their lights.

I’ve gotten numerous comments that go something like “You’ve given me something to think about.” Think being the operative word. Will they turn down their thermostats? Not if they can afford the power bill. People are people and while they may sympathize with others in need, they will put their comfort first.

JMHO.


Greg Taylor Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 4:08 am
On my blog I give away my knowledge for free. I want people to read a post and say “I think I can do that” or “That’s doesn’t seem so hard.”

I think art can change the world – photography being one of the arts. It can brighten someone’s day and/or inspire someone to do something bigger and better.


Jack Fussell Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 4:28 am
This subject has been on my heart also. My wife and I did a project last fall called He{art} for Morocco. We sold our art and photography on Etsy and all of the profit went to aan art project in Morocco. We were able to raise a substantial amount of money and spent a week out in a Moroccan village introducing the children to photography, music, painting, story-telling, sculpture and cooking. I truly believe that our photography can be used to change the world.


Alexander Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 6:02 am
I distinctly remember that when I was in 4th grade or so, a guy came to my public school and showed (great) slides he had taken of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It definitely increased my already-piqued interest in both travel and photography. So there’s a small but profound effect, inspiring young kids to do cool stuff!


Sarah Kuhner Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 6:35 am
I have always loved photography and have just started my own business. I want to be a blessing to others around me through my love and my words, but also through my photos. I work as an RN in a NICU and I often take beautiful pictures of the sick babies I am caring for. I do this for the parents so that they can connect with their little one and bond a bit more. Photographs do change people and give them hope, a smile and stir their emotions. I share the love of Jesus through my photos and change the world a little at a time each time I share them. I think that every photographer should use their skills to share with others. Keep up the good work.


Harry, ExposedPlanet.com Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 6:40 am
Good topic. I think you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. I have had many great comments on my images on ExposedPlanet.com and the stories behind it have narowed the gap that meda and other misunderstandings have created between cultures.

So yes, photography can and does change the world.


Grimo Says:

January 26th, 2010 at 5:02 pm
Errr, reality check people: most of you commenters may have made a small difference to one or a few people’s lifes. Good for you! But you haven’t changed the world. There’s perhaps a few images that have had a lasting and big impact on a large number of people, a few. Doing philanthropic projects with your photography is, of course great, but you’re kidding yourself if you think you’re changing the world. Get down to earth, please.


Korey Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 1:17 am
Photography can most ceratinly change the world. Every picture that we see evokes an emotion out of us. Those emotions at times call us to action in cases where there needs to be an action taken. Take any picture from the civil rights movement, 9/11, Katrina, or most recently Haiti. Take any picture of a birthday, Christmas celebration, graduation, or a picture of a happy couple. The feelings that our brought about from these pictures is definitely enough to change the world around us.


Korey Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 1:21 am
Photography can most ceratinly change the world. Every picture that we see evokes an emotion out of us. Those emotions at times call us to action in cases where there needs to be an action taken. Take any picture from the civil rights movement, 9/11, Katrina, or most recently Haiti. Take any picture of a birthday, Christmas celebration, graduation, or a picture of a happy couple. The feelings that are brought about from these pictures are definitely enough to change the world around us.


Grimo Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 8:40 am
Korey, you’re making my point exactly!

A *few* photographs have indeed had a huge and lasting impact on a large number of people. (You could debate whether that *changed the world* though but I’ll leave that for now). Most of us amateurs and very few professionals have taken such a picture and made such an impact.

The second part of your comment was that some more common images have a huge impact on a few people. I am not saying that the a photo of a graduation isn’t valuable and important to the family – but it’s not changing THE WORLD is it? And that’s what I said in my comment….do read carefully.


Grimo Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 8:50 am
PS. I’m also not sure that Christmas, graduation photos, and birthday snaps change someone’s world. I’m sure people are emotionally attached to those pictures – but has it changed their world? I’m sure some of the *events* in the photos have but the photo itself?

I do like the Help Portrait project and I could imagine that does actually change someone’s world. But that’s on a very small scale and the impression I got from the article was that we’re talking about big scale here – The World!


Ryan Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 11:22 am
Why don’t you put the $10,000 to good use and invest it into projects in the communities and teach the kids with photos from those countries that are WIDELY available with a creative commons license? Or bring in local people from the community that grew up there and have them teach the children about their culture with the again widely available (and VERY good) creative commons photographs?


Peter Carey Says:

January 28th, 2010 at 6:38 pm
Grimo,
I’d put forth that changing the world happens by changing one person at a time. This goes for both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ changes. Short of the moon crashing into the Earth, nothing will change us all at the exact same time, it is true. Think of it as something like the butterfly effect. One person decides, because of seeing X bad thing in country Y that they want to stop X from happening. They start employing friends and strangers to help stop X. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. But surly photography has the ability to move people to action and beyond a few simple first steps, it gets really hard to quantify the exact results. I don’t feel like getting into a statistics or probability debate in these comments but my theory is that, as explained above, photography can change the world. One person at a time.


Debi Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 3:34 am
I recently wrote a blog post titled Homeless In America: http://activerain.com/blogsview/1439046/homeless-in-america I was stunned at the amount of responses, (over 3000 people viewed the post), and the number of people who might have been encouraged to do something to help. Even if it was only to help them to view the situation in a different light, yes, I think our photography can make a difference.
I have also posted photos and commentary about endangered animals. Every little bit helps.


David Watts Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 3:51 am
Peter,

This is an exceptional article, I agree with you and it has got me thinking about change. Photography may not start a revolution or even some type of insignificant change. Also money doesn’t need to fix everything, social change is just as effective. My point is that what taking photographs does do is documentation the happenings. I think Boston Globes “Big Pictures” (link below) does an excellent job of this, not everything is a natural disaster or a tragic event.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/


Simo Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 4:00 am
Of course my photography changes the world. I’m constantly buying new gear which increases the amount of unnecessary waste in the world. Driving to shooting location creates extra carbon-dioxide. Storing images in the Internet and having others to view those consumes electricity etc. etc. And all this just because of my selfish need to take photos…


Adrian Carey Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 4:10 am
I think that the operative word or result even, is by simply changing the world 1 person at a time. It is foolish to believe that you can make a big impression globally. For example, if any of us came up with a photograph so profound, how many do you think will actually believe what they see?
We are all human and will always consider our own needs before others, that is just the way we are. For example, if someone else paid for flights, equipment and food then I’d go out to Haiti or any other disaster and help out. I’d probably work myself to the bone as well but I, as most of us do not have that sort of benefactor so I shall probably be staying at home and watch it all on TV. Sound familiar……?

Back to the real issue of this blog and regarding Robs entry right at the top. That inspired me to think about doing something similar. Not just for myself but also because if I can somehow make a difference to someone elses life then that would be a fantastic achievement in itself. Hey, I get a few nice portfolio shots to boot.

Hey Peter, are you my long lost relative? lol


S Rai Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 4:12 am
I think one person’s work can be a drop in the bucket. Eventually, with all the other drops, the bucket fills and overflows. So although an individual can’t personally can’t change the world, the world would definitely be less without that person. And that’s all of us, really, chefs and photographers and cab drivers and grandmothers, etc. etc.

I’ve had people say to me that I’ve helped them to see with my images, to notice the beauty all around them in their everyday which they’d missed before, and that is enough, I think.


Stephanie Motz Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 5:17 am
An interesting perspective on the responsibilities of photographers seeking social change.

http://photophilanthropy.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/photographer-as-white-messiah-looking-back-at-a-picture-i-wish-i-hadnt-taken/


Elis Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 6:33 am
Thank you for posting this Peter. It’s also something I’ve been giving this a lot of thought.
I believe that images can be very powerful and as photographers we have a great tool for speaking into people’s lives.
Now I think you can also use photography to highlight a social issue like violence against women, abandoned children, homeless people, child prostitution etc … you can expose these things and give people images that will get us out of our apathy about these issues and get people thinking and talking. I believe when that occurs, we’re on our way to change the world, like it’s already been said, one person at a time. :c)


J.A.Lambert Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 6:41 am
You may not be able to change the world, but you might make a difference in your corner of it. I live in Vancouver which has an east side populated with many drug addicts, alcoholics and prostitutes. I have often thought (alas, it goes no farther than just thinking) that a collection of b & w shots showing how some of the people live there might effect a change. Most people here know about the Doiwntown East Side, but very few venture there. I would have to choose my audience carefully: high schools, churches, maybe even City Council. Once people know what is on their very doorstop, they might do something to help.


Wendy Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 6:53 am
I totally believe photography can change the world! Our minds sometimes find it hard to percive what we hear. People are visual, they need to see it to believe it. Take the images from the recent earthquake in Hati, these images are powerful to see when we are sitting in the comfort of our homes. It really makes you want to go out and help, to do something to help our brothers and sisters that are hurting. Photography can impact people and the way they see the world around them.


Mary Harrsch Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 7:36 am
When my mother died about five years ago and I went to pick up my mother’s ashes, I looked at that little plastic box with a metal ID tag I had been given and thought to myself “Is this all that’s left when everything is said and done?”. I felt a need to leave more behind than just a few family memories so I thought about what it was I could do that might make a difference and leave a legacy after I was gone.

When I was younger, I had worked as a photojournalist. At the time of my mother’s death I was an IT Director at the College of Education at the University of Oregon. Over the years I had learned quite a bit about databases and web design and with the advent of digital photography, I had found I enjoyed photography more than ever. I had also developed a passionate interest in ancient history so I was looking for a way to use all of my acquired skills in my new “legacy” project.

My contact with educators had taught me that most schools and even universities, especially those that are publicly funded, have very little money for classroom materials and illustrations. Furthermore, commercial suppliers of images often charged rather exorbitant sums to use them even in educational applications. As an ancient history enthusiast I was also dismayed that budget cuts had eliminated many classes in the arts and humanities. So, I decided I would start photographing historical art and architecture in museums (that allow photography) and at historical sites that I visited on my vacations and while attending conferences and uploading them to the web for the public to enjoy and use for educational purposes.

Although I designed my initial online archive with Filemaker Pro, using its instant web publishing capability, soon afterward, Flickr launched and made it really easy to create an online archive of images that could be tagged for improved searching and grouped into sets and public groups by topic. Flickr also made it easy to attach Creative Commons licensing so site visitors could find images that they could use freely. (I do restrict commercial use of my images but include my contact information so people can inquire about commercial use of particular images.)

Because I am trying to provide educational information, I try to include detailed information in the image title and tag each image with usually at least about ten to twelve tags describing the object, the place of origin, the object’s use, the culture that produced the object, the time period the object was produced, the color, the composition, etc. and a link to the museum’s website in the object’s description to encourage people to visit the museum to see the real thing for themselves.

As my archive grew, I began to receive emails from visitors describing how they had used my images (or asking permission to use my images for particular projects that may be construed as commercial). I learned my images have been used in classrooms around the world, in textbooks, in educational programming for public broadcasting in both the US and abroad, in museum promotional displays, in educational displays in historical parks and even a major motion picture. Of course the web makes it possible to share your images with people in other countries too so I would like to think I have made at least somewhat of a difference to people all over the world. One day I received a copy of a fine arts magazine published in Istanbul that featured a spread of my images. (They had sought and were granted permission – I just had forgotten about it). I also supply images for Wikipedia articles as well. An enthusiastic Wikipedia supporter once said that although words are the body of a Wikipedia contribution, images are the soul.

I now plan trips specifically for the purpose of cultural photography and increasing my online archive. Recently, I was asked to write an article about cultural photography for the ancient history website Heritage Key. If anyone is interested they can read it here:

http://heritage-key.com/world/capturing-images-worth-thousand-words-practical-guide-museum-and-heritage-site-photography


Catherine Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 9:04 am
I am still a very amateur photographer, but I volunteer locally for Sands, an organization supporting families around the death of a baby. While caring for the family and helping care for baby, I take photos of the baby and family which are to last a lifetime. The family has such a brief time to see their baby if stillborn, and so little time to make precious memories if baby dies as a new born.
These photos don’t change the world, but are deeply treasured and totally irreplaceable, and certainly change the lives of the family.
When I lost my son, we had a few Polaroids poorly taken by the midwife, and a couple I took on a very poor camera, and I just wish….
Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep (http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org) is an international organization looking for photographers in all areas to share their vision, capturing beautiful moments of little ones gone too soon, or those with limited life.


Kevin Halliburton Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Every world changer in history compelled people to their point of view, and subsequent course of action, through powerful and effective story telling. The camera is one of the most powerful story telling devices ever invented. Tell someone’s story and see what happens.


Marko Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Of course photography can change “the world”. Everything you do can. If you do this (anything) well, you will have more impact. On your family, friends, close circuit of people around you, wider community. Pretentious sayings like “changing the world” should not stop us from doing what we do. Remember, whatever you do “changes the world”. If that wasn’t the case, what would be the purpose of the whole exercise (life)? The point being – whatever you do, do it well. It does have a purpose.


Iona Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 9:14 pm
Well, in Tom Ang’s book, “Photography”, he talks about how photos from the massacre at Mai Lai in the Vietnam showed the world the horrors of the Vietnam war, turning people against the war, leading to America pulling out their troops. So yes… Obviously photography can change the world.
It doesn’t even have to be a change as large as ending a war.
Seeing something has more of an effect than hearing about it. So photography can open the worlds eyes and make them think about changing the things that are wrong. The photos just need to get to the right people


D. Travis North Says:

January 29th, 2010 at 10:55 pm
I think that photography has been helping to change (evolve?) the world ever since the medium came to fruition. For example, Stanley J. Forman’s Pulitzer Prize winning photo from 1976 featuring a haunting image of a woman and a child falling from a fire escape of a burning. It’s a horrible thought that has haunted me ever since I’ve been exposed…but the photo became the poster child for fire safety reform, starting in Boston. The last moments of Diana Bryant’s life may have been recorded on film – but not at a loss. Think of the thousands – if not millions – of people that have been saved thanks to that photo.

There is also Kevin Carter’s 1993 Pulitzer Prize winning photo of the starving Sundanese child being stalked by a vulture. This is the same photo and photographer that was a basis for a main character in Mark Z. Danielewski’s “House of Leaves”. It is yet another haunting image – and a contributing factor to Carter’s eventual suicide – but the photo garnered millions of dollars of support for the Sudan Famine. It’s too bad that Carter received so much criticism and suffered mentally…his photo really helped thousands of people.

In more recent years, the photojournalism of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the recent fate of Hati opened up the hearts of millions in support. None of that would be possible without photography. As it’s said, a photo speaks a thousand words. In this day and age of viral news media and especially, people are more likely moved by photos than anything else.

I of course am sticking to the easier to define moments in photographic history, but there are thousands upon thousands of examples. If there were a way to photograph the state of the economy or the state of healthcare – I’m sure politicians would be convinced to make an immediate change.


Pernille Sue Winton Says:

January 30th, 2010 at 12:51 am
First of all thanks for bringing up this topic.
My humble contribution here will be to point to a pretty simple way of improving socalled integration, which I would really prefere was called interaction..
I live in Denmark and one of our national charachteristics is to pretty much keep to ourselves (sic!) plus a large part of our culture and the majority of our government is very preoccupied w “foreigner vs Dane problems”. Not surprisingly a mix that creates racism or attitudes bordering on this – and definitely does not fertile the grounds of a more healthy relationship between Danes and refugees/imported labour/immigrants. Our society is based upon protestant christian values though hardly anyone goes to church or has any kind of ritualistic relationship to religion, and hence any form of orthodox behaviour/look/lifestyle seems exotic bordering on angstprovoking to most. So though the kids have peers and friends in school from other cultural backgrounds, they dont often interact outside school, and if so not in each others homes where the real closeness and confidence is based – you know, the biggest vote of confidence from a kid you can get is “will you come visit me and see my room?” So I read abt this project where kids were given disposable cameras, and a basic teaching in light and composition, and was asked to document their home and family and doings during two weeks I think. Then the projectleader saw to the development and supervising an exhibition where every kids works were presented seperately but side by side with the others. This spurred on many laughs, questions and talks and led to a very natural way of connection, as I am sure you can imagine. Details that would be as natural as breething to one child, would be amazing to others and so forth, and the whole project was deemed very successful by all parties involved, including authorities and municipal. Should anyone want to adapt and spread this idea I believe it could be used in other areas where differences between individuals create obstacles to interaction and understanding. To me that is definitely improving the world, which absolutely files under changing too : )
I am onto the “start with yourself” and “being a part of the solution” models and believe we all can contribute with our little share to lift the task of improving this world with our unique talents and gifts – and know from experience that grand schemes and plans much more often end up in nothing done, than one little step each day. This was my daily step so far : )


Bull Rhino Says:

January 30th, 2010 at 3:21 pm
Very interesting timing on this. I’m reminded of the story of the man walking along the beach picking up star fish and tossing them back into the water when he was approached by a stranger asking why he was wasting his time when he couldn’t make a difference to the thousands of star fish stranded on the beach. As the man picked up another star fish and tossed it into the water he responded with “No, but I can make a difference for this one.”

It is interesting that just this evening I scheduled a post for my blog that will appear this coming Sunday morning telling about how I was privileged to take some portraits of a woman who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. I am honored and humbled to be able to make what they claim is a huge difference in her and her husband’s and children’s lives. When tragedy strikes in someones lives so many times I have said something like “Call me if there is anything I can do.” And of course they never called. Thank heaven for a cousin of mine who challenged me to do something. This time I decided to determine something I could do and then do it.


Adrian Lowe Says:

February 2nd, 2010 at 12:35 pm
Your idea sounds great Peter. Our club, The Masters’ Apprentices Photography Club in Brisbane, Qld, Australia, is about to embark on an ongoing project to find non profit organizations who need photos for whatever reason, posters, leaflets, presentations etc, and we’ll provide the photos and team up with labs to produce them. It’s a way of helping others who help communities do it more economically. I doubt we’ll take jobs away from professionals but hope we fill a niche.


Gbenga Loveeyes Images Says:

February 2nd, 2010 at 11:12 pm
Wao! what can we say or what have not been said. in all the talks, how many would start their project now. Just 1 image can change our world.
@ Peter you are an inspiration to your world. We are moved to start up something today. We can affect our world, only if we try.


Charity Says:

February 18th, 2010 at 7:42 am
Peter,
I have enjoyed several of your articles so far and you grabbed my attention when you titled this one. This has been something that has plagued my heart for years.

I firmly believe that change comes from the inside, but to touch that inside of people you must see beyond the surface. I try in all my photography work to see what others don’t. To look beyond, to capture the essence and bring it to life. In doing this it creates a photo that evokes emotions in the viewer. It is my hope that this will touch many as I keep up my work.

I would dearly love to touch many lives, enrich them and stimulate them to change their own lives and worlds just as others have done for me. Thank you for your inspiration Peter.

Charity


Lisa Says:

March 2nd, 2010 at 4:17 pm
Hi Peter,

I just happened to stumble upon this article of your’s while researching for my honours thesis topic. I am an anthropology student, who also has a passion for photography. I am writing my thesis on this very idea that images can be used as a catalyst for social change! I like to believe that they can be, and it is wonderful to see so many others who feel the same way! Your project sounds amazing!! An idea I wish I had thought of! Something I think about though is that we live in a society where we are bombarded with so many kinds of images everyday…do you ever wonder if collectively people are just too desensitized, and that what may seem to be a powerful image looses its ability to shock, motivate, or inspire?

I guess that every photograph is different, and every moment in time is different from the last – so one thing photographs will always be able to do is inform, in one way or another. Can that transfered knowledge change peoples beliefs and attitudes, maybe…but can they change the world, perhaps not on their own, but they will surely contribute!


Heba Says:

April 27th, 2010 at 6:27 am
Hi

wandrfull words .

I’m Egyptian lady , and I am interesting on this idea , I need to contact with you because I started an idea with Arabian youth people about photography to change , and positive affect of the committee

Thank you


Jessica Watson Says:

August 5th, 2010 at 12:38 pm
Thank you so much for highlighting our organization in your thoughtful piece!

For all the fellow photographers out there that believe that we can change the world one photo at a time, I encourage you all to enter the 2010 Activist Awards.

The PhotoPhilanthropy Activist Award identifies outstanding work done by photographers in collaboration with non-profit organizations worldwide and awards prizes ranging from $1,000-$15,000. In our first year, over 200 photographers from 63 different countries submitted work.

This year, PhotoPhilanthropy will be honoring professional, amateur, and student photographers, and a new category for community-based organizations. Each photographer whose work is accepted receives a page on our website and exposure to a growing audience of concerned and committed global citizens.

The 2010 submissions are now open and close October 1, 2010—we encourage you to apply!

More information is available here: http://www.photophilanthropy.org/sub1-submission_form.php

No comments: