Saturday, June 19, 2010

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

By Prajith Nakarnimana/India Syndicate, 18/06/2010

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

From Mohandas Gandhi to todays time, many who have made (and are still making) an impact on India, its culture and history, have once been students abroad. Pursuing higher studies in a foreign university has been a priority of many in our country.

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

You might have got an offer letter and already secured a seat in a prestigious university by now. Funds are already taken care of. But, are you ready to live one or two years of your life totally different from how you have lived in India?

This article has been inspired by the life of MK Gandhi, the Mahatma. Leaving for England for his Law degree, young Gandhi found life quite different and difficult initially. The people, language, food, conveyance, cost, the culture... almost everything was alien to him. Most of you planning to go abroad for the year starting 2010-11 might also find the place the way Gandhi found England. So, here are some tips to survive your student life abroad, taking a cue or two from the life of the Mahatma in London.

The magic pill for home-sickness

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"I was very uneasy even in the new rooms. I would continually think of my home and country. My mother's love always hunted me. At night the tears would stream down my cheeks, and home memories of all sorts made sleep out of the question. It was impossible to share my misery with anyone. And even if I could have done so, where was the use? I knew of nothing that would soothe me. Everything was strange-the people, their ways, and even their dwellings. I was a complete novice in the matter of English etiquette and continually had to be on my guard. There was the additional inconvenience of the vegetarian vow. Even the dishes that I could eat were tasteless and insipid. I thus found myself between Scylla and Charybdis. England I could not bear, but to return to India was not to be thought of. Now that I had come, I must finish the three years, said the inner voice."

What we learn
You are bound to feel home-sick. Even those who have been away from home studying and working might feel like 'going back home', at least in the first few days. But worry not, you are bound to feel so. So, relax. Understand you are there for a purpose, and that the initial feeling is temporary. The classes, new friends and a few sight-seeing will pep you up in a matter of days. Most universities have orientation programmes to make you feel at home. Reach the university well in advance and take the 'settling-down programmes' offered. Start well.

Etiquette, the five Ws and one H

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"Dr Mehta, to whom I had wired from Southampton, called at about eight o'clock the same evening. He gave me a hearty greeting. He smiled at my being in flannels. As we were talking, I casually picked up his top- hat, and trying to see how smooth it was, passed my hand over it the wrong way and disturbed the fur. Dr. Mehta looked somewhat angrily at what I was doing and stopped me. But the mischief had been done. The incident was a warning for the future. This was my first lesson in European etiquette, into the details of which Dr. Mehta humorously initiated me. 'Do not touch other people's things,' he said. 'Do not ask questions as we usually do in India on first acquaintance; do not talk loudly; never address people as 'sir' whilst speaking to them as we do in India; only servants and subordinates address their masters that way; And so on and so forth."

What we learn
Well, times have changed. Globalisation has brought our worlds so seamlessly together that cultural etiquettes do not matter much. But, as the saying goes, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. Or, at least, do not rub the Roman on the wrong side! 'Thank You' is valued very much. Thank while accepting a help. And offer help, too. Loud talk is not appreciated in public places. Indians are infamous for their stares. We might find it OK here, but not necessarily there! Learn a bit about the culture of the land, indulge in it.

Food issue: Samosa, pulao and roti

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"My food, however, became a serious question. I could not relish boiled vegetables cooked without salt or condiments. The landlady was at a loss to know what to prepare for me. We had oatmeal porridge for breakfast, which was fairly filling, but I always starved at lunch and dinner. The friend continually reasoned with me to eat meat, but I always pleaded my vow and then remained silent. Both for luncheon and dinner we had spinach and bread and jam too. I was a good eater and had a capacious stomach; but I was ashamed to ask for more than two or three slices of bread, as it did not seem correct to do so. Added to this, there was no milk either for lunch or dinner. I invested in a stove, and began cooking my breakfast at home. I had lunch out and for dinner bread and cocoa at home. Thus I managed to live on a shilling and three pence a day."

What we learn
Vegetarians, like Gandhi, will find the place difficult. You will find eating, both veg and non-veg food, expensive. In pre-departure briefings, many universities ask students to carry a pressure cooker. It has two advantages. Cooking your own food saves time and saves money. Eating, after a while, boils down to want you need, rather than what you want. Spinach, bread and eggs might not be your staple food. Either try to adjust to the tastes or, make your very own curd-rice, pulao or roti!

Priority: Why am I here?

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"My ambitions also grew like the family of the recluse. I thought I should learn to play the violin in order to cultivate an ear for Western music. So I invested £3 in a violin and something more in fees. I sought a third teacher to give me lessons in elocution and paid him a preliminary fee of a guinea. He recommended Bell's Standard Elocutionist as the text-book, which I purchased. And I began with a speech of Pitt's. But Mr. Bell rang the bell of alarm in my ear and I awoke. I had not to spend a lifetime in England, I said to myself. What then was the use of learning elocution? And how could dancing make a gentleman of me? The violin I could learn even in India. I was a student and ought to go on with my studies. I should qualify myself to join the Inns of Court. If my character made a gentleman of me, so much the better. Otherwise I should forego the ambition."

What we learn
Most students will find the foreign lands great. And there are chances of getting off focus. Ask yourself why you are there. Study is first priority. It does not mean you miss out on all the fun. Strike a balance.

How tight is your purse string?

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"As I kept strict watch over my way of living, I could see that it was necessary to economize. I therefore decided to reduce my expenses by half. My accounts showed numerous items spent on fares. Again my living with a family meant the payment of a regular weekly bill. It also included the courtesy of occasionally taking members of the family out to dinner, and likewise attending parties with them. All this involved heavy items for conveyances, especially as, if the friend was a lady, custom required that the man should pay all the expenses. Also dining out meant extra cost, as no deduction could be made from the regular weekly bill for meals not taken. It seemed to me that all these items could be saved, as likewise the drain on my purse through a false sense of propriety."

What we learn
Most of you might have taken a loan to cover tuition fee and living expenses. After an initial phase of converting your every pound/dollar payment into rupees, you stop it once you get used to. But it is of prime importance that you manage your funds. Most university websites have sections to help you with plan expenses. Do not disclose your bank details to friends or fellow-countrymen there. There have been instances of fraud among international students.

Walking like a King!

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"The rooms were so selected as to enable me to reach the place of business on foot in half an hour, and so save fares. Before this I had always taken some kind of conveyance whenever I went anywhere, and had to find extra time for walks. The new arrangement combined walks and economy, as it meant a saving of fares and gave me walks of eight or ten miles a day. It was mainly this habit of long walks that kept me practically free from illness throughout my stay in England and gave me a fairly strong body."

What we learn
Walking is rewarding in more than one way. Most university accommodations would be 15-20 minutes' walk from your department. A brisk walk energises, and keeps you in good stead. Moreover, it helps cut costs. Public transport is not cheap unless you book tickets early. Taking the bus or tram everyday to college will burn your pockets. One can also find accommodations outside university facility that are not very far away.

Time Management: 25 hours a day

Survive your study abroad: A few tips from the Mahatma

The Mahatma's experience
"But how was I to utilize the time? I knew that Bar examinations did not require much study, and I therefore did not feel pressed for time. The process [cooking] scarcely took me more than twenty minutes for there was only oatmeal porridge to cook and water to boil for cocoa. This was also a period of intensive study. Plain living saved me plenty of time and I passed my examination."

What we learn
No matter what the duration of the course , time flies. Twenty-four hours might seem inadequate for a day's schedule. Hence, plan your days. Remember, you are there to study. Everything else should take the back seat. Abstaining from too much leisure and the habit of eating out will save time that could be diverted to studies.

Let you be the next abroad-educated Indian remembered for a very long time. Best.

Source: India Syndicate

No comments: